The Packaging Assistant works under the direction of the Packaging Manager to help operate, maintain, and repair the Zipline packaging equipment. Successful candidates will have a technical (e.g., engineering or mechanical systems) background that allows him/her to diagnose, troubleshoot and develop creative solutions to problems that arise. In addition, the Packaging Assistant will support packaging operations by working on the packaging line and preparing finished beer for warehousing and distribution. This position reports to the Packaging Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operate sophisticated aseptic packaging equipment, including bottling/canning machines and keg fillers, date coders, labeling machines, all according to standardized procedures
- Read and comprehend complex technical manuals and Standard Operating Procedures
- Clean and Sanitize all packaging equipment
- Assist in established QAQC protocols to ensure quality of product into package
- Adhere to and advance the “Safety Always” culture of Zipline Brewing Co.
- Continual lifting, dragging, carrying, and manipulating of hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, and reservoirs, requiring standing, walking, crouching, and lifting regularly throughout the duration of shift.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and cleaning on equipment and infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems within packaging facilities.
- Function well while working in a team environment.
- Maintain a flexible schedule that can accommodate variations in packaging schedules (including weekends and nights).
- Supervision of schedule, equipment, and packaging crew when Packaging Manager is absent or unavailable
- Automated bottling/canning and kegging equipment
- Forklift trucks
- A variety of hand and power tools
- Cleaning agents and other hazardous chemicals
- Computer Automation systems
- Pumps, hoses, valves, clamps, gaskets, and other brewery equipment
- Touchscreen machine controls
- Compressed air or other gasses, including C02
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards.
- An understanding of lock-out/tag-out and other core safety issues.
- The ability and aptitude to work with and troubleshoot equipment.
- The ability to operate a forklift.
- Positive outlook and attitude.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Ability to keep busy with essential roles without being asked.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the brewery.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 150 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to participate in critical assessment of beers.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- High School diploma minimum, 2-year Associates degree or higher preferred. Equivalent experience in production line/brewery/mechanics/engineering acceptable.
- Prior experience operating a forklift (certification preferred, but training will be provided if needed)
- A passion for craft beer!