An Associate Brewer is responsible for brewing, transferring, and cellaring finished beer and ensuring all cleaning regimes and safety protocols are followed. Successful candidates will be team oriented, able to follow explicit operating procedures without deviation, but willing to adapt to changing schedules in the brewhouse. The Second Shift Associate Brewer will usually work from approximately noon to 8 pm. However, applicants must remain flexible and willing to work all hours, including occasional weekends. Associate brewers report to the Head Brewer.
- Operate, clean and maintain grain processing equipment
- Operate CIP (Clean In Place) systems for all brewing and cellaring equipment, including the use of potentially dangerous chemicals
- Clean and sanitize all beer contact surfaces and equipment
- Place and return to storage hoses, parts, pumps, buckets, and reservoirs, requiring standing, walking, crouching, and lifting regularly throughout the duration of shift
- Brew beer, transfer beer, and monitor fermentation progress
- Crop and pitch yeast and conduct cell counts to determine viability and vitality
- Carbonate finished beer and prepare beer for the Packaging Department
- Regularly and safely work around high voltage, flame, hot water, and steam
- Ensure proper record keeping of all brewing and cleaning activities
- Be mindful of potential quality concerns
- Operate forklift and a variety of hand and power assisted tools
- Maintain compliance with all brewery safety protocols
- Remain in constant communication with the Head Brewer
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Formal brewing education – OR – 1-2 years of combined experience in brewing, cellar, and packaging demonstrating progressive levels of responsibility
- Positive outlook and attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards
- Ability to work in a team environment with a great deal of interdepartmental coordination
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time.
- Self motivated with good time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to communicate with other staff
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and Internet.